Soul songstress, Meleni Smith has released a new album “My Heart In Focus” that highlights her passionate voice and smart and creative songwriting ability.
Meleni was previously signed to Columbia Records but has now taken her career in her own hands, developing a sound that isn’t coming from the cookie cutter R&B mainstream formula.
One of the standouts on the 10–track album is “Grace Jonesin” which pays tribute to the vibrant Jamaican singer with a vintage R&B tune, that harks back to the days of the late, great Etta James.
“Liquid Stars” is an acoustic guitar and violin driven ballad that shows the bittersweet side of love. “The Palm Of Your Hands” is an electronic influenced track that brings a cool vibe with an 80s feel. Meleni outdoes Alicia Keys on the song that Meleni wrote for Keys, “Love Is My Disease.” The track “Only A Fool” is a moving piano ballad that has definite crossover appeal.
The live instruments and various styles create a nice gumbo of musical influences which highlight Meleni’s songwriting chops and distinct emotional voice. Smith has worked with Fugees and Nas producer, Salaam Remi, and she manages to hold her own among the great female artists he worked with such as Lauryn Hill and the late Amy Winehouse.
2. “Yes we are eating watermelon ! We love it!!!!!”
2 of 10
3. “On the beach celebrating one year of happy times with my boo”
3 of 10
4. “My Mr. Big”
4 of 10
5. “At Crustations ,about to chow down on some Crab pre Aniversary dinner with TONI”
5 of 10
6. “In Walnut Creek California having lunch . Gotta stop this eating out! Bad for your diet!”
6 of 10
7. “We are at the Whitehouse with My handsome grandson Julez.”
7 of 10
8. “We are at the White House ! What an honor!”
8 of 10
9. “Happy Birthday to my awesome husband, you are definitely getting better with time .69 and fine as wine”
9 of 10
10. “Hello Friends, been mourning the loss of my beautiful brother Skip But I’m back!!!With two of my favorite men”
10 of 10
Continue reading Meleni Smith Puts The Blues Back In R&B For “My Heart In Focus” Album
Couples We Love: Happy Anniversary Tina Knowles Lawson & Richard Lawson
At the youthful age of 62, <span class="_5u8u">Tina Knowles</span> is still in the midst of her honeymoon with actor <span class="_5u8u">Richard Lawson</span>. Check out some of our favorite photos of the happy couple as they celebrate their first wedding anniversary!